Search This Blog

Saturday 23 July 2016

Red Helvetia Free Arm Sewing Machine

So my holiday has been slightly more busy and slightly less productive than expected.  However, I have managed to sort out my images of cleaning the red Helvetia into something postable, so here goes....!
This is how it looked when I brought it home

Stitch length lever
I paid $50 for it, which to be honest was probably a bit much as it is fairly scratched in places.  However, it did come with a box of accessories and its flatbed attachment so it probably wasn't too bad.  One of the most challenging things about it is that everything is done up with screws that require an Allen key to remove.  Fortunately there was one in the box of accessories which I used throughout.  The machine is an end loading oscillating hook, only capable of straight stitch both forward and reverse and the feed dogs drop.
Accessories box

Firstly I wanted to take the motor off it, so that I could clean behind it and so that I didn't have to worry about accidentally leaning the machine on it while I was working on it.  These machines have a light under the faceplate which is wired to the motor, so you have to undo the wiring to get the motor off, as shown below.
Back of machine
Remove the bottom piece of plastic that is pointed to by the green arrow in the picture above.  It goes without saying (I hope!) that you make sure the machine is unplugged first!  It is held in place by one or two screws, I can't remember now and I don't seem to have an appropriate picture.  You should then have something that looks like the image below.  In the picture below I have unscrewed the two large screws holding the motor bracket on so that I can move the motor about and take it off as soon as the wiring is out.

Wiring at base of motor
In the picture above, the two green arrows that are essentially pointing at each other are showing the wiring to the light.  The other two arrows are pointing to where these wires are wired in and the screws that hold them.  Once you loosen the screws you can gently pull the light wires out and lift the motor away.  The light wires stay protruding from the back of the machine as shown below.  Make sure you label which wire goes where into the base of the motor.

Showing light wires
I then set about removing the wooden base from the machine.  To do that, remove the three screws circled in green in the image below.
Showing base screws

Underneath base
You can now turn your machine over and oil anything that moves under there and grease any cams.
Next you can remove the cover on the free arm and the face plate, both are held down with a couple of screws and unfortunately I have a photo of the removal of neither.  The faceplate cannot be lifted right off due to the wiring of the light, as seen below.  You can also remove the back cover which is held in place by the same screw that hold the thread spool holder in place.

Under back cover, oil the LH rod where it sits over the crank and grease the cam & slider on the RH rod

Oil all the oil points and lift the feed dogs up and lightly grease where they slide against another piece of metal.

Oil the oil points on the take-up lever etc and lightly grease the needle and presser bar.
You can now get stuck into dismantling the bobbin area.  One you have the bobbin case out you can remove the piece that holds it all together.  Unfortunately I cannot remember how I did this but will update when I can.  Basically, you remove this piece:
Holds everything together.  Can remove metal spring as indicated for cleaning purposes
Now we have something as below, the hook (the crescent shaped metal piece) will now drop out and we can remove all the screws circled in green.  Incidentally, you can see a piece of thread caught up in mine.
Thread catch

Screws to remove
It will look like this and you can clean it to your heart's desire!
Bobbin area
My hook had a few dints from being struck with the needle but nothing too serious.
Hook strikes
One it's all clean you can re-assemble.

Reassembled
 Finally I took the tension assembly apart and cleaned it well.  You just unscrew the knob and it will all drop to pieces in your hand, very simple.
Tension assembly

Tension pieces in order of reassembly, left to right.

 So that's it, probably not one of my better guides to taking something apart but hopefully followable if you're desperate!  I guess I shouldn't leave it 6 months between taking them apart and writing them up!

6 comments:

  1. Yippeeeee you're back. And a fine looking machine too.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted about this machine. I recently picked one up in the exact colour. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it as yet. The case is in is in pretty bad shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on. Time for a new posting.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your tutorial - I've just cleaned one up I picked up from Salvos (mine is a buttery yellow). Followed your instructions, and it's running like a charm! Bobbin area looked like a felt factory, but overall in pretty clean condition, and mostly just needed oiling. I'd never heard of Helvetia before, so was pleased to find this page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you wouldn't know where i could get a straight stitch foot and needle clamp? as a i need both for my machine which i picked up from a recycling centre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once had a flatbed version Helvetia. When it 'died' it was replaced with a used vintage Necchi. But always wanted a free-arm machine and bought an unloved vintage Dutch Fridor Stitchmaster. 'Atomic'styling but a Helvetia inside like the one featured here. Extremely well used, shoddy exterior, jammed works. Re-motored and restored in 'Covid lock-down'. Reluctant to re-paint so keeping its scratched, oil stained exterior as part of its story. Happy sewing, stay safe. Rob.

    ReplyDelete