Search This Blog

Friday 23 October 2015

Elna Contessa 400 Threading Diagram

Recently I was asked how to thread the Elna Contessa 400.  As I result I created some diagrams, which I thought might be of use to others so I will share them here.
Threading - overview

Close-up of needle threading
In the top threading images above, the red arrows point to the thread guides and the black line shows the approximate path of the thread.  Click on the images to see them and the instructions larger.

How to wind a bobbin
The path of the thread for bobbin winding is show in blue.  There was actually no bobbin winder on this machine when the image was taken, consequently the grey block that I added is where it should be.

The bobbin case of this machine threads as they do on most machines, hold the bobbin case in your left hand, with the open end facing to the right.  Hold the bobbin in your right hand with the end of the thread going away from you.  Put the bobbin in the bobbin case and pull the thread through the slot in the bobbin case and under the tension spring.  That's the bobbin case threaded.

As usual, if you have any questions, drop me a line and I will do my best to answer them!

11 comments:

  1. Hello... I have an elna contessa 410. Its suddenly not feeding the material under the foot. Any idea why?.. christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you accidentally dropped the feed dogs? It is fairly easy to do by accident. If the feed dogs are moving but are not coming up above the throatplate then that could be the cause. There is a little button under the bobbin cover on the bottom right hand side, just try playing with that. If they are not moving at all then I'm really not sure I'm sorry, it is not a machine I have exhaustively investigated.
      I hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I am looking for advice on where I should oil the Contessa? I have an Elna 460 but guessing it will be similiar. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am not acquainted with an Elna 460, I had a quick google and they looked rather new, so my information may not be accurate. Generally speaking, if you can access the bottom of the machine, you should lightly oil most things that move against another surface, paying particular attention to the rotation of the bobbin and motion of the feed. Also on the side of the machine, any points that rotate about a pin or slide on something should be lightly oiled, and the same for under the top cover as well, if you can access that. If the machine has electronics, oiling near them could be a problem, if it has plastic gears, only grease them if it looks like they have previously been greased. Metal gears should be greased. I hope that helps a little.

      Delete
  3. Hi I recently got a Singer 320 the tension parts were separated I put it back together but the tension is terrible, can you please help me with some advice on that. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ceinwen - I am trying to track down a user manual for an Elna Contessa 400. Do you have one that I may be able to copy? Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking for the same manual for a contessa 400

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Helen, did you manage to get a copy of the Elna Contessa 400 manual?

      Delete
  7. Hi
    I recently purchased a second hand elna 400. Its missing the slide part that extends the machine plate . It also, holds accessories. Do you know where l could purchase this part?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey i just recently got a second hand Elna 400 need help with my machine to set up

    ReplyDelete