Search This Blog

Thursday 24 April 2014

Singer Super Stylist 533

I have had yet another machine donated this week!  Unfortunately it is very similar to last weeks machine - just in worse condition!  The new machine is a Singer Super Stylist 533 and very similar to the machine I learnt to sew on.  This machine also has plastic gears, one of which is a completely different colour and I suspect it may have been replaced.


The white gear on the right I think is new.




As you can see from the above photos the machine left a fair bit to be desired when it came to cleanliness!  The bobbin area was packed with lint, every time I thought it was finally clean I found another piece.




There is something not quite right with this machine, I think maybe it just needs the oil to sit for a while as it was very dry.  It's kind of sticky and the reverse was jammed, although I freed that up.  Under the top cover and faceplate all looked good and the cams all looked crack free, not that they are exactly easy to look at under the white selection disc!



Underneath apart from being dirty, dry and plastic everything looked good.



I annotated the photo above to give some idea of the layout of the machine.

From the front it's rather a ho-hum machine, it might look better if I had better photos and had remembered to take one AFTER I cleaned it!  This machine also has a hard cover, some accessories and an instruction manual, it's not all bad!


My mother made these very cute owl mittens for her sister.  They are Tunisian crochet and I think they are absolutely adorable, I love the green eyes.


6 comments:

  1. I have a Singer Stylist 533 and am wondering about the workings of the tension release pin. I can see that when it is pushed outward, it releases the tension on the thread but there is nothing inside the machine that seems contact the inside end of that pin. How is that pin supposed to work.
    Many thanks,
    David Abineri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I cannot for the life of me find a picture of one at the moment which is stupid I know. However, I can describe to you how they should work. You should find the disengaging mechanism is activated by lifting the foot of the machine. There is normally a piece of metal that is lifted forward (i.e. pivots about some fixed point) by the lifting of the foot. This piece of metal will move forward and contact the back of the pin, pushing it forward and releasing the tension. I hope that helps. If you would like me to do some pictures of a similar machine for you, just send me a email and I'll be more than happy to oblige.
      Ceinwen :)

      Delete
    2. Many thanks, Ceinwen, this was exactly what I was looking for and not sure how I missed seeing it myself.
      Thank you for taking the time to respond.
      David Abineri

      Delete
  2. I am asking if the machine ( singer 533) can sew leather items. And hard fabrics like danim and jeans

    ReplyDelete
  3. No normal domestic can sew hard/heavy leather for any length of time without ruining the precision stitching mechanism. They are simply not built to handle it. you need a heavy-duty domestic or industrial for those. Machines like this 533 will sew denim and light leather with the correct needle.

    ReplyDelete