Search This Blog

Monday 28 April 2014

Singer Stylist 437 Seized Zig-zag Mechanism

When I came to try the Singer Stylist 437 I discovered that the zig-zag wouldn't work.  I tried the needle position setting and that didn't work either so I figured I had a seized part.  When I came to have a look at what was going on I pulled out the Super Stylist 533 to compare.  It was very simple, the part that was supposed to move the needle bar had seized and wasn't moving the tiniest bit.  I applied oil as shown in the photograph below.


I then (having tried this on the machine that was working, just to check that I could do this without damaging anything) started to force the needle bar to oscillate by pushing it back and forth.  From what I remember you get the greatest movement when the machine is set to widest zig-zag and left needle position.  After I had moved it a few times I applied more oil to the 'oil repeatedly' points.  Ten minutes later it was springing to and fro as well as any working machine.  I have to say I love it when I have a similar machine to compare workings with!  As a real surprise the pedal on this machine was fine and it is now for sale.

Another thing that initially wasn't working was that the flat-bed refused to lock in.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of this but I'll try and explain.  Start by turning your machine up and taking the bottom off so that you can see where the flat-bed locks in.  Now try and attach the flat-bed.  I found that the metal pin wasn't long enough and thus the cut in it wasn't allowing the catch to catch in.  If you turn the flat-bed up the other way you'll see a grub screw holding the metal pin.  Just loosen the grub screw, adjust the pin slightly and tighten before trying in your machine.  It didn't take me all that long to find a length that worked just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment