Search This Blog

Saturday 26 October 2013

Singer Fashion Mate 362


I got a new machine to work on on Wednesday.  To be frankly honest it's rather ugly but I was intrigued.  It was a Singer Fashion Mate 362 with a garish orange tinge rather reminiscent of faded curtains after a hot summer.  They look like and in design are similar to the Singer Hushmatic 242, equally unattractive I'm afraid!  The Fashion Mate 362 has completely plastic casing, not something I am overly fond of.  Let's get to the nitty-gritty and start to pull it apart.  First of all you need to get the top off, this is fairly simple, there are only two screws holding it on. The second is under the felt disc on the thread spool.

Arrows mark screw positions
 
Now take the belt cover of the side, it's only one screw and a bit of wiggling to get it free.  Next take the handwheel off.  It's the normal type, take the stop-screw out then unscrew, take washer off and slide handwheel off.  The belt will make it hard, just pull!  When you go to put it back on make sure you slip the belt back on the handwheel and then motor before attempting to get it back in position.  When you've taken the top of it'll look like this:
Under top cover
 
Notice the plastic gear nestled inbetween all the metal ones?  And the plastic cams?
 
Now take the back off.  You will need to take off the belt cover and handwheel as described previously.  To take the back off remove the screws marked in diagram.  Tip the machine up and remove the metal light bulb cover, it will only get in the way.  Make sure pressor foot is raised.
Remove screws indicated
 
Now comes the tricky bit.  The casing is plastic remember so you don't want to be careless.  Place your machine as illustrated above and GENTLY lever the left hand side from the base of the casing with a screwdriver.  At the same time (it may help to have two people) grab hold of the right side and pull it towards you.  You should now be able to gently push it to the left and it will come free.  Remember if it gets stuck DON'T FORCE IT, it WILL break.  Now your machine should look like this.
With the back off
 
Now clean and oil your machine.  This one was very dry and I had to give it a thorough oiling.  I also had to clean a lot of rust off the main shaft.  When it's all nice and clean and oiled put it back together again, being careful with that plastic.  Next I cleaned and oiled the base of the machine.  First of all I took it out of its plastic base, this is fairly simple, just remove the two grub screws holding the hinges to the machine.  Next I opened the bobbin plate and took the throat plate out allowing me to access the bobbin and hook area.  To get the bobbin case out lever the piece of metal on the right up and over the screw it is sitting over, as shown in the image below.
 
Now the bobbin case and hook can be cleaned properly.  This machines bobbin case was very rusted so I dealt with that before progressing.  Last of all I turned the machine upside down and cleaned and oiled the base.  These machines have a fabulous belt drive underneath and the belt on this one is in surprisingly good condition - it looks almost new.
Fabulous belt drive.
 
Now all I need to do to this machine is give it a very thorough cosmetic job.  I am guessing someone stored it in a shed or garage for a while because the hard cover and base are very dirty and the locks rusted stiff.  Nothing that a bit of TLC won't fix though!

35 comments:

  1. Fabulous blog - clear instructions and well labelled photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My plastic gear seems to be missing a few teeth which causes throws the rotary hook timing off. Is there anyway to fix that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the only way to fix that is to get a new gear for it. The cost will probably be prohibitive though, it depends how much the machine means to you whether or not you wish to do so. :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I stumbled upon this post looking for the same answer. After days of internet searching I found two success stories: one man cut the arm shaft and removed it from the bottom, another man was somehow able to get in there with a wire and remove it...
      I first attempted to make the repair from the top as explained through research, but I couldn't remove the main shaft to get to the gear. The gear was already crumbling, so I took my shot at destroying it for removal. It worked! I took a flathead screwdriver and hammer and chiseled it off, then removed the shaft from the bottom after loosening the set screw. I replaced the gear yesterday, cleaned and oiled everything, put my machine back together, and adjusted the timing.
      You may not have this machine anymore, but if you do- or if someone else stumbles across this looking for answers like myself- then maybe this will help. The cost to repair is nearly as much as the machine is worth. I am really glad I attempted this repair myself; it took a lot of creative thinking and head scratching, but was well worth it. Good luck! I hope this idea helps a bit.

      Delete
    4. Thanks A million I first started to do what you did then passed. I read you went ahead so that's all I needed and it worked. The one I took off crumbled easy. It had no set screw and was impeded onto the shaft with notches. Looks like I will be replacing the shaft and plastic gear. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Great blog. Do you have any idea how to get the tension assembly out? I need a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tbh I am not actually sure and I don't have the machine any more, sorry.

      Delete
  4. Why the bobbing case does not move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest that the belt drive underneath may be broken, tip your machine back and check. Otherwise possibly lubrication could be required.

      Delete
  5. I have this machine and the reverse button has started to stick. I comes back out very slowly. What is the fix for this? Can it be oiled and how would I go about that? From the back? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say oiling would help. Try taking the top off and working in from that way.

      Delete
  6. I got this old machine at a thrift store. The needle does not move up and down when you press the foot pedal. Would a thorough cleaning and oiling fix this do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it probably would yes.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bobbin case does not move. The needle goes up and doen, but the bobbin does not move. Do you know how to repair this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suggest checking the belt underneath the machine, by tipping it back.

      Delete
  9. I have this same machine I've cleaned and oiled it but the stitch length did not move, finally, I have it moving but nothing happens the stitch length is very tight and the reverse knob does not operate. Looking in the top and the bottom I can see the white plastic turning but the stitch length does not change. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been looking at a 362 model that dont have a cord for the foot peddle or to give it power tried looking at item plug area to find clue to sequence of positive or negative poles and could not visually see any markings for such determination.Tried getting electric schmatic and failed to find existance.can you help me figure out the three poles currents of 1 2 3

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Fashion Mate 362 I rescued from the neighbor's curb. Took a long time to get moving, and now problems with tension. I thought I should remove the tension device, and instantly decided a bad move, now the screw won't go back in. There is nothing to hold it, and I can't figure out what happened in the 5 minutes I had the screw out, and tried to put back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Roxy Lentz dnrlentz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the same mistake!! I believe there is a fastener that is supposed to be attached behind the screw, I tried putting the fastener back on but it was tedious so I generated other ideas. I glued the screw in place with crazy glue and have not had any issues!

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! I thought I was crazy. I used a small brass tube to sorta hold in place. but, I may have something to fit the screw. For the time being I just use to wind bobbins, because my other old Singer quit that job, and since this other one will do, I haven't tried to find out why the other machine quit doing that. It took me a long long time to get it working at all, but, but someday I will sew a actual project on it.

      Delete
    3. I got the tension problem solved also, a man on Youtube said it was because of the thread. I switched to all polyester thread, and problem solved.

      Delete
  12. I inherited this exact machine but its connected to a desk. It fold down into it. I have left it sitting for years, to painful to use. But now i am ready to learn. Should i keep the desk, (takes up a lot of room) or detach it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is in the desk/table, I love it! I am able to set my materials onto the table once folded out, and it makes my sewing so much easier. If you are inexperienced, I would leave it. Otherwise you may want to purchase an extension table if the desk is too big. I have attempted using machines without an extension table or desk/table and it was a nightmare. These serve the purpose of keeping your fabric flush with the machine before it reaches the needle and is recommended for layers or bulky fabric.

      Delete
  13. I have purchased a new tensioner assembly for my Fashion Mate 362 and cannot get the front cover off to remove the old one. Does the front cover not come off or is there something I'm missing. I have looked for hours to find something on the internet but no luck. I would appreciate your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front cover comes off and you can replace the little square nut that goes on the top screw, didn't need to be removed to
      Replace the tensioner, also to remove the tensioner assembly take the top off and you can see a set screw that has to be loosened, hold on to the assembly because.it will pop out when you loosen the set screw, it takes a narrow flat screwdriver, the screw below the tensioner is for the front cover.

      Delete
  14. Thank you! I'd like to ask where you got yours? Mine is an heirloom from my very sweet grandmother. When I got it I thought I was missing the piece that holds the thread, but as it turns out, I'm not! It's also thankfully and surprisingly in great working condition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think if you are brave enough to replace the tension assembly, the screw is underneath. Turn the machine over, and you will see a screw under there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've had my Fashion Mate since the early 70's and have had it tuned and serviced many times.
    However, just when I need to use it, it jammed! I think it was because the bobbin thread got caught in the works. The handwheel (on the right) only moves backward and forward a little bit. It will not turn around. I think the problem is in the "black hole" under the presser foot, but I am nervous about unscrewing anything. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a Fashion Mate 360 that looks exactly like the 362. I need to replace the replace the belt on the handwheel. The belt has "Y323". Would you happen to know where I may get one. Is there another model# that could be used?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a fashion mate 362 which I have removed from the cabinet. My brother started taking it apart (it seemed to be froze up after sitting in a shed for many years) but then he left it. I am planning to install a newer model singer in the cabinet if If I can just figure out how. I ordered what they said was the part but can't figure out where to attach. if anyone is interested in having it for parts and lives within the area of Jacksonville, Fl I will give it to you for free. You just have to come get it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is so helpful, it saved me a ton of frustration (and likely broken a broken face plate if I hadn’t come across it)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have this same singer fashion mate 362 machine. Had the vertical gear replaced.. but the needle selector arm will not engage in the white disk which makes the zigzag stitch.. it appears the vertical arm is sitting too low and needs to be adjusted up to slow the arm to properly engage… is this a possible adjustment? Help…

    ReplyDelete