Search This Blog

Saturday 19 October 2013

Husqvarna 6230 gears

Husqvarna 6230's are one of the Husqvarna's with two gears.  This means that the motor can run constantly at the optimum speed but the machine will go slower.  This particular Husqvarna is not in particularly good condition however it should work currently.  After a clean and lubrication I discovered that two of the cams were hopelessly cracked.  Therefore this machines days are seriously numbered.  When the machine was plugged in and ran a horrible grating noise made itself apparent.  I managed to trace the noise to under the side cover.  To get the side cover off one has to pop the hand-wheel off and take two screws out, then the fascinating gear and pulley arrangement is seen.
Pulley and gear arrangement, the motor is on the right.
 
When I took this photo I had already taken the little plastic cap which is screwed in by two screws off.  Now that I could see a bit better what was going on I took the entire machine off its base.  This is probably not essential but makes visibility a lot easier.  I was now left with this:
 
The black belt connects the gears and pulley to the main drive of the machine.  When you have unscrewed the machine from the base tip it downwards slightly to facilitate getting that belt off.  I have also taken the toothed belt that runs from the motor to the pulley off.  Now take the white cover off and follow with the grub screws holding the pulley on.
 
Now by rotating the pulley until one of the holes is positioned directly over each of the screws on the right hand side in turn and removing them you can get the whole gear set up out.  You should now have this:

 
This can now be pulled apart even further:
 
I pulled mine apart and lubricated everything that could possibly move.  I then re-assembled it and put it back on the machine.  I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with it but it doesn't grate any more unless you apply a force when it is turning.  I suspect there is a small clearance somewhere but although I tried for quite a while to find it I was unsuccessful.  It's almost ready for sale now, at a reduced price because of the cracked cams.


I will hopefully be uploading a manual for one of these shortly.  Has anyone out there sewed with one of these in better condition?  What are they like?

7 comments:

  1. I have the same Model Husqvarna 6230 (inherited from my Mum). Unfortunately the rear panel has been forcibly removed damaging the points of attachment for the slide-on brackets. The one at the lefthand (bobbin) end is loose and I wanted to access behind the left hand cover to tighten bu I cannot find a way to remove this lefthand cover.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying! The rear panel on this one has been damaged by someone forcibly removing it too. It had been stuck back on with tape. I also have exactly the same problem with the left hand cover (face-plate), mine is slightly loose and nothing I can do seems to remove it. Considering my machine turned out to be a no-hoper (broken cams) I might try getting it off a little harder!

      Delete
  2. PS. I have a copy of the sewing manual but this does not help with repair and maintenance to any degree. Could provide a copy if you email me at bruce.graham.wagga@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same model, but do not know much about sewing machines ;).
    She works fine, but has problems with the stitches when it comes to another as the one straight on.
    Greets from Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds to me like you are saying that she is doing straight stitch fine but not the other stitches. If that is the case I would suggest that you have a look at the plastic cams under the back cover. If you look closely with a torch you may find they are cracked and the cam follower is getting jammed. It is also possible that something just needs oiling, try oiling anything that looks like it should move. If you need any more help email me at ceinwenjones02@gmail.com, I will be pleased to explain in more detail.

      Delete
  4. I have just bought one of these for $10, complete with everything it came with. To remove the left cover there is a little lever underneath you pull down and the cover comes right off. Mine also did not do any of the fancy stitches properly. It turned out to be that the old grease had gotten hard, limiting the side to side motion of the needle. A bit of lube and it now works perfectly. I have only done some test runs with it, but so far seem great, much better than my Singer 522.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog has a to a great degree limit center that amplifies, shockingly into extensive variety of concerns.
    Johnson outboard gear set

    ReplyDelete